Personalized Ketogenic Diet Counseling
Ketogenic diets come in different forms, so choices must be made when using a ketogenic approach. All variations of the ketogenic diet entail specific adjustments to the proportion of total calories contributed by fat, protein, or carbohydrate, respectively. Prescribed meal plans are carefully calculated by the dietitian to achieve tightly controlled ratios of fat to nonfat (protein + carbohydrate). All diet variants share the common characteristic of restricting carbohydrate intake and making fat the primary source of energy for the brain.
When implemented correctly, ketogenic diets induce a state of ketosis in which dietary fat becomes the main source of energy for the body, thus mimicking a fasting state. Patients using ketogenic diets experience a profound shift in their primary mode of energy metabolism leading to multiple downstream physiological consequences. Complications associated with ketogenic diets are preventable and they can usually be managed on an outpatient basis.
After you have successfully initiated a state of ketosis, repeated fine-tuning may be needed to optimize the diets’ efficacy, ensure good tolerability, detect and minimize complications, and meet changing nutritional requirements. This follow-up requires close collaboration between the ketogenic dietitian and the patient. Ongoing dietitian support is important because small changes in diet composition can correct or prevent issues like weight loss, growth failure, or discontinuation due to prescribed foods becoming boring or unpalatable.
Ketogenic diet therapies are available to children and adults who are currently under the care of a supportive physician. Baseline labs are required prior to initiation of the diet. Additionally, we have a release of liability waiver which you will be asked to sign.
Optimal personalized ketogenic nutrition care should include:
- An initial nutrition assessment including: diet history, weight history, medical history including laboratory test results and review of personal diet goals.
- Development of a personalized nutrition plan which incorporates your food preferences.
- Education on understanding and implementing the recommend plan.
- Assistance with incorporating the plan into your lifestyle.
- Review of ketogenic monitoring laboratory tests and weight tracking.
- Follow up for plan adjustments and educational support as needed to achieve goals.
Overview of Ketogenic Support
The amount of professional assistance needed to start on a ketogenic therapy can vary from one individual to another depending on goals and nutrition/diet history. Personalized ketogenic diet therapy generally requires 10-15 hours over the first 3 months. This includes diet planning, education and coaching time with a ketogenic dietitian.
Initial Keto Consultation - no cost
Candy offers an initial free thirty minute call to discuss your goals and learn more about you so we can make a mutual decision about whether Richardson Keto Consulting is the best fit for supporting you in your interest in using a ketogenic therapy. If you contact us, we can schedule a call at a mutually convenient time.
- In-person visits are available near Durham, North Carolina.
- Payment can be made by cash, check or PayPal account.
- You are responsible for using all purchased sessions. Sessions expire one year after purchase.
- Insurance is not accepted for sessions.
Follow-up Keto Support
45 minutes $100.00
There is reliable data showing that a ketogenic diet is safe when monitored closely by a trained professional. Nutritional consultation is not intended to diagnose disease or replace medical treatment.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on a website. You should seek the advice of your physician regarding your specific medical condition and treatment.